Last Updated on January 13, 2021
Whether you live in a big city or in the country, if you are looking to maximize your encounters with nature, birdwatching is one of the best options.
While I am in the kitchen or in the living room drinking a coffee I love having the privilege to enjoy the beauty of wild birds from the comfort of my house.
But you don’t want an ugly feeder...
As I’m very picky with the looks of any appliance I get for my home I found these very cool acrylic window bird feeders with suction cups for attracting birds right to my window; and besides, they even look like decorations!
This clear stick on window bird feeder makes bird watching fun and easy while relaxing inside the house, in your favorite chair, working at your desk, making dinner in the kitchen, and more.
Kids and pets also love to watch the birds sitting inches away from their faces...
I have personally had good luck with the inexpensive window bird feeders I got from Amazon so I will share a list of the top options and tell you why are the best choices I found.
- Quick Picks:
- 5 Best Window Mounted Bird Feeders Reviewed
- Now... What Do You need To Know About Acrylic Window Bird Feeders?
- How To Attach Your Suction Cup Feeder Correctly:
- Will Birds Smash Into My Windows If I Use A Window Feeder?
- How To Stop Birds From Smashing Into My Window - Will A Window Feeder Help?
- How To Clean My Suction Cup Window Feeder:
- Where To Locate Your Window Bird Feeder
- How Can I Attract Birds To My Window Feeder?
- What Should You Do With Skittish Birds?
Best Overall: Window Suction Cup Bird Feeder by Papagai
Best Value for the Money: VIITION Bird Feeder with Solar Light
Best for Design and Versatility: Birdious Window Bird Feeder
Best Hummingbird Window Feeder: Aspects 407 Jewel Box
Highest Bird Capacity: Aspects ASP155 Window Cafe Window Mount
5 Best Window Mounted Bird Feeders Reviewed
When it comes to observing, the Window Suction Cup Bird Feeder by Papagai is the one that allows the BEST VIEW - it has an unobstructed view since it has suction cups on the sides and an attractive curved acrylic frame.
So you will be able to see the birds right from your window!
This window mounted bird feeder has a rain-proof curved roof and side walls providing a fully enclosed area protecting the birds so they can feed in any weather condition.
The dimensions are perfect to invite a bunch of birds at the same time. The partitioned seed tray can hold 2 different types of bird feed at a time to attract a greater variety of birds.
Do you sense a bird party around the corner?
It is easy to refill and easy to clean. The tray slides out completely making refilling and cleaning a breeze, with a seed tray lip mechanism which prevents the seed tray from inadvertently falling out during use and spilling bird seed all over your yard.
The feeder comes with extra strong suction cups which makes for an easy and quick installation. The tray even has holes for water to drain through to avoid mold build-up.
Best combination of quality and price. A little bit smaller than the feeder from Papagai, but VIITION Bird Feeder includes a built in solar light which absorbs sunlight for 8 hours and lights up when there is insufficient light, providing 8 hours of lighting at night.
The light is appropriate and will not disturb birds, allowing you to watch your favorite birds at any time.
It features an Acrylic Clear Design and space for more than two birds. The feeder has easy to install, strong suction cups.. Simply attach the suction cups to any window without a screen. These are very strong and won't fall off from strong winds or rain.
Easy to Fill and Clean. You can easily remove the tray without having to remove the suction cups from the window. This means you don't have to remove the entire bird feeder to refill it, which makes it a winner in my book. Just discard any remaining seeds or debris and rinse out with water.
The tray has water drainage holes and is divided into compartments so you can fill with multiple types of seeds at once to attract different breeds of birds.
This one can be not only a window mounted bird feeder, but if you prefer you can convert this one into a hanging bird feeder because it includes a steel chain. So anywhere you’ve got a hook, peg, or branch, you can have a beautiful hanging birdhouse.
The Birdious Window Bird Feeder has drain holes so you don't have to worry about collecting water. It has a built-in divider for two types of seeds to attract different kinds of birds. However, this versatile feeder doesn't have a removable tray so if you want to wash the feeder thoroughly you will have to remove the whole feeder from your window or take it out from the chain if it's hanging.
Although it is not the easiest to refill or you need to use a little bit more effort to clean this acrylic feeder, if you are looking for a great design and if you like enjoying style changes from time to time this feeder is well worth it as you can use it in two different ways.
It will be a very good option to fit your standards. You'll never get bored of this beautiful sophisticated feeder!
The wonders of modern technology! Small creatures generate big smiles.
The Jewel Box Window Feeder is as stylish as it sounds. I love being able to watch the hummingbirds in my beautiful feeder and buzzing around my window.
Very good quality, the plastic is very thick and sturdy and the large suction cups provide a very strong attachment to the glass.
It has a great design with 3 feeding ports and a rim for hummers to perch.
This feeder is perfect for attaching to those smaller kitchen or bedroom windows and still allowing a clear view to the rest of the front or back yard.
See it in action here:
The half-circle perch gives hummers a solid resting place and the optional ant moat deters those pesky insects. Learn more about why these features are important in this hummingbird feeder review.
It contains the bare essentials to keep them nourished with hummingbird food and keep the dish clean with minimal effort - the hinged top comes off in a snap.
The Aspects ASP155 Window Cafe Window Mount is very popular with the birds as they can see all the seeds available due to the big capacity. Plus, you get a completely unobstructed view of the birds who come to the feeder.
In this suction cup bird feeder birds can't perch on the sloped roof, so it doesn't get messy with bird droppings the way flat topped feeders do.
The suction cups stay in place when you need to refill the feeder and as with the other options in this review, it has super strong suction cups. After the initial application the feeder slid down maybe half an inch but never fell off.
This is a large capacity feeder so this model doesn't require frequent refilling! The design prevents large, unwanted birds like doves from getting in.
For the shape of the tray, you can remove it seamlessly and it is very easy to fill. The feeder can be removed for cleaning while leaving the suction cups on the window
(I like that so it will maintain a better hold on the window over time.)
This makes it easy to remove the hulls left behind.
Now... What Do You need To Know About Acrylic Window Bird Feeders?
Well, these are definitely the most popular type of window feeders. These feeders are often made of a durable clear acrylic plastic and attach to the surface of a window by suction cups.
Some people question the reliability of the strength of the suction cups for falling down. But if you take care of the proper way to place them, that will not be a problem!
The feeders will stay up almost indefinitely and are able to hold the weight of both the seeds and visiting birds easily.
How To Attach Your Suction Cup Feeder Correctly:
- Your window should be very clean! Any kind of dirt on the surface of the glass is going to prevent the suction cup from sticking in a proper way. Be sure to wipe the window surface down perfectly with a glass cleaner spray.
- Make sure the suction cup itself is clean from dirt and dust. If they need to be cleaned, wash them in a warm soapy water solution and dry gently with a microfiber cloth.
- Right after cleaning, install on warm glass so the suction cups will stick better. You can do it when the sun heats the glass or if the weather is too cold, you can also warm up cold glass by using a hair dryer.
- Lightly coat the inside of the suction cup with a drop of oil or a very small dab of Vaseline to provide extra adhesion and strength. Don't use spit or water because they evaporate quickly off the cup over time.
- Every time you refill or clean the feeder, press down on the middle of the cups to remove any air bubbles that have developed to maintain a strong seal on the window.
Will Birds Smash Into My Windows If I Use A Window Feeder?
If you’ve ever had the sad experience of watching a bird smashing right in front of your window and you think a window clear bird feeder will increase bird strikes...
Don't be afraid!
Actually it is the opposite! Several research studies prove it. When used properly, window feeders actually will help to decrease the chances of a bird hitting your window.
How To Stop Birds From Smashing Into My Window - Will A Window Feeder Help?
For birdies, glass windows are just invisible. Birds cannot perceive the difference between a window’s reflection and real foliage or sky; to them it just looks like another place to fly into, a hole or a tunnel to go through.
And because the amount of windows around the world is so great, the number of bird accidents is equally huge. Sadly, upwards of 1 billion birds die from window strikes in the U.S. each year, according to a 2014 study.
Even worse, the bird often dies after they hit a window even when it is only temporarily stunned on the floor and manages to fly away. This is due to internal bleeding or bruising, especially on the brain. Besides, from these injuries they become vulnerable to predators.
The good news is that you can easily reduce the number of bird window accidents in your home with some simple steps, including installing a window suction cup feeder -According to Christine Sheppard, who directs the Bird Collisions Program of the American Bird Conservancy. The Fatal Light Awareness Program also offers great information on preventing bird collisions.
Some Common Tips
- Apply strips of tape to the windows on the outside surface.
- Put bird decals on the outside surface of window glass.
- Apply soap or window paint to the outside of the windows.
- Put a film on the outside of your windows.
- Add window screens or a net.
- Install exterior shutters or sun shades.
However, the BEST option in my opinion is to install a window suction cup feeder. A window mounted feeder will attract birds to your window for your enjoyment. You'll stop the problem of bird strikes and will keep your windows looking nice and stylish at the same time.
How To Clean My Suction Cup Window Feeder:
All bird feeders need to be cleaned on a regular basis; there are no exceptions - especially if you use a suet feeder like one of these instead of dry seed.
Luckily, window feeders tend to be very simple to clean. Some have removable trays, so you can easily take out the tray, wipe out old seed, wash with soapy warm water to remove bird droppings if necessary, and pop the tray back in.
As long as the feeder looks clean, it will just need a bit of a wipe down each time you go out to refill. Make sure to remove any old seed that has begun to clump together or looks wet and moldy.
Every 5-8 weeks you should take the whole feeder down (for plastic and metal feeders) and soak in a mild bleach solution, soap wash, and rinse well.
Where To Locate Your Window Bird Feeder
If you have multiple options in your house with good windows for placing a window feeder, you need to consider other factors that may influence the birds. Even if you don’t often see birds being killed, they do have many natural predators like hawks and falcons and they like to feel safe.
These predators often stalk bird feeders for a quick meal. Place the feeder high enough off the ground so that the birds do not have to worry about being stalked by ground predators such as cats and dogs.
Choose the spot to place the feeders close to natural shelters like shrubs or trees. This will give birds the time for a rest and feel safe. Birds will often come to your feeder, grab some seed, then fly off to a tree to eat it.
They prefer to have some type of shelter while letting their guard down to eat. If you have the option, evergreens are best at providing coverage. A distance of 10-20 feet is ideal for providing close shelter, while it is also far enough away for squirrels and cats. If you want to treat your squirrels you can even get them a feeder like the ones here to keep them busy.
If you're on the lookout for bird feeders other than the window type ones, please refer to our best bird feeders review where you'll find a lot of other options.
How Can I Attract Birds To My Window Feeder?
Here are some of the best tips for attracting birds to your window feeder:
- Offer them good quality popular seed. Sunflower seeds are a favorite for most feeder birds. A high quality mix including a good portion of sunflower is more likely to keep new birds coming back and establish your feeder like a source of food. You want to prove to the birds that your feeder is a location for finding consistently high-quality food. Should you want to eventually feed other types of seed you can slowly transition once your feeder has become established.
- Spread some seed beneath the window feeder. Spread some seeds on the ground below the feeder or other areas close by. Birds use their sight to find food and making your seed more obvious may help them find your feeder quickly. There are some types of foods that are particular to certain bird species like the blue jays. Blue jays like peanuts, so you better give them the best blue jay food that they come for.
- Take other feeders out for a couple days. If you have some other bird feeders in your yard you can take them down for some days in order to give full attention to the new feeder. Once the birds are regularly using the new stick-on window feeder, you can put your other feeders back up and the birds should incorporate the use of all feeders as part of their routine when they come to your backyard.
- Add a fountain with water, dripper or wiggler to your yard. Birds drink water and enjoy bathing. They are always on the lookout for fountains and spots with water. A fountain placed a couple of feet away from your feeder can help attract birds to your yard and make your clear, acrylic window feeder visible for the new birds visiting for water.
What Should You Do With Skittish Birds?
Different species of birds have different temperaments. Chickadees are very bold and curious and will likely be one of the first to find your feeder, and won’t be bothered much by your presence.
Whereas nuthatches or cardinals can be a little more skittish and might visit less frequently and be more easily disturbed by you coming close to the window.
To help draw in more skittish birds you can purchase a feeder with a one-way mirror or one-way mirror film. You can also adhere a mirror film to your full window - this way the birds will only see themselves on the window feeder.
Bird feeders attached to a window not only offer the enjoyment and the beauty of wild birds in the comfort of your house. Acrylic suction cup window feeders also provide beauty from the design themselves, practicality, and a low price point.
Above all this type of feeder solves the problem of birds crashing into your windows. For all these virtues they are a beautiful, practical, and also economical option if you are looking for a bird feeder.
To conclude here are the best two options, one for your typical backyard birds and the other for hummingbirds I found on Amazon:
Best Overall: Window Suction Cup Bird Feeder by Papagai
- Best view from the birds, perfect size, best value.
Best for Hummingbirds: ASPECTS 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder
- Best design, good price, easy to clean, versatility.